Sunday, November 07, 2010

Sunday LATE supplement. I am invisible...

See, this means I am invisible...


So, why such a late in the evening blog?  I was an observer for a "no notice" drill.  Translation, you were called, there is an event, do something.  This was interesting, I was someone watching, rather than participating.  This meant I couldn't help, but I could write lots of notes, so that helped in the end.  The observers all wore the teal-y colored band, so that we wouldn't be asked about things, or to do stuff.  Having been in drills in other groups where I had no clue who was available, and finally asked everyone that was "dead" (the response I received from each person I'd asked) to please fall down so I knew who was available, this was a nice improvement.

It was held at the fire station, in one of the practice towers, there was smoke, (fake fog stuff, but still...), there was junk all over, and my friend Naomi did "blood, guts, 'n gore" on several people, so when the CERT folks checked, there was indeed injurious looking injuries. 

The ones that did the rescuing did a great job, to my unpracticed eye.  There were some areas that could use improvement, but all in all, they seemed to be doing well, and had a good handle on things rather quickly. 

I certainly hope I will not need to deal with someone with a pencil through the face (yes, we had a mock up that made them look like that), but it gives you confidence doing something where everything isn't just a snap.  I must say, I do think that it might be interesting, if we should be called out this winter, which it has been implied we might be, I am hoping that I can show myself as capable as the folks that were called out tonight rather flat-footedly. 

So next time, I have been informed, I will be an obnoxious victim.

I am trying to decide if I am going up, or down in the world...

14 comments:

Sharon said...

LOL! Fun post! Very interesting and it would seem very necessary! I can't wait for when you are an obnoxious victim, LOL, give 'em a hard time LOL!

John Going Gently said...

Iwould LOVE to do one of these "real" life scenarios...( the frustrated actr in me"

Ms. Diva said...

A pencil in the face? oh my!!!! Invisible to obnoxious? I'd say up!!! Hahaha

messymimi said...

Since obnoxious is one of the lowest life forms, and this time you weren't even alive, I vote for up.

Chai Chai said...

Cat, I made "Cat's Dish" today for dinner today and it was a huge hit. Thanks for the great recipe.

Inger said...

Well, Cat, at least you will be funny, whichever way you end up going.--Inger

Terry said...

Yikes! That sounds intense.

Cat said...

Sharon:

Well, uh. Yep, it is necessary, so you have not so much 'what do I do?' It's a way to practice without so much panic that you don't function, and can make mistakes that (we HOPE) aren't fatal... Lol.

Obnoxious. Loud, annoying... I think I can do that!

Cat

Cat said...

John:

Uh, well, it would mean a trip across the pond, so it might be a bit more than you'd want, time and money wise, but we can always use volunteers! And several of them are acting students, on occasion... Hmmm.

Cat

Cat said...

Ms. Diva:

Yep, it was a prop, obviously, but there was about a third of a pencil, stuck right in her face. (When I walked up, at the angle it was, I thought at first it was a cigarette. The fake blood, and the fact it was near her EAR told me quickly to reasses.)

Cat

Cat said...

messymimi:

Up it is. Now I need to practice being a jerk.

:)

Cat

Cat said...

Chai Chai:

Very good! It's a staple dish at our house. Now, if you share it with any one, the tradition says it is now "Chai Chai's Dish." (Not sure why, but hey, it's TRADITION! Am I the only one hearing strains of Fiddler??)

Cat

Cat said...

Canyon Girl:

Funny? Funny?? I guess obnoxious might have it's funny points... I think the 'boss' was looking more for 'annoying, aggrivating, pain inna butt', than funny.

Heh. ;)

Cat(who has been known to do pain inna butt real well...)

Cat said...

Terry:

It can be, especially when you are the first one to arrive, and that means, you are the head of the mess,you are then known as Incident Command... (!!!!)

Cat