Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Paper one, Kindle... Not.

I have grown to like the Kindle-y thing on my tablet.  It has many advantages, not the least of which is that I can increase the font size to something I can read without my glasses, if I want.  (I have vision that is... amazingly bad.  I can tell something is there, but unless I am nearly on top of it, I can only guess what it is.  And usually not real good guesses, unless I have an inkling already.) 

I also like that if I want a goofball, obscure book, I can quite often find it, and have it downloaded in a short time.  I still buy the majority of my books at a bookstore, or trade with other dead tree readers, but I must say, Kindle has its charms.

However.

I was sitting down to read an eBook that had been recommended to me.  Sounded good.  Started to read.  Good story-line, interesting characters, and really getting into it~

And the battery died.

Note to self.  Charge the thing, before starting to read.  Ink doesn't generally temporarily go away... Hmph.

I keep thinking that I have some cookbooks downloaded.  I really think I will print out the recipe I want to use, rather than leaving it on.  Having the K die when I am right in the middle of a dinner would be a disaster!

8 comments:

  1. E-readers have their good points, but it still prefer books with paper pages. I know, I know. I love trees too. But print books don't battery- down. And as far as cookbooks.. a printer uses paper too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but the printed page generally doesn't disappear right in the middle of cooking! ;)
      Cat

      Delete
  2. I fully understand, been there and just as disturbed about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally was able to read the rest of it, but man, how annoying!
      Cat

      Delete
  3. And watch out for disappearing books! There was one i bought and downloaded, and it wasn't that cheap, and in the middle of reading it, it disappeared off the pad and is no longer in my "library." If i want it again, i have to buy it again. Library to borrow a copy, here i come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that one I have NOT had, yet. I don't know that I would appreciate that, someone might have a very nasty email... Ahem.

      Cat

      Delete
  4. There's a downside to everything, especially technology. A printed book will never let you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, almost never. I had a book with several pages missing. That was a bummer. And dropping it in the bathtub has its drawbacks. But I think it would be as bad or worse, in that case, for the Kindle-y thing...

      Cat

      Delete

Hi! What have you to say today?