Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Night sounds.

I had a bad night a bit ago, and sat in our living room.

I just kept the lights off, and sat on the couch, hoping I could go back to sleep.  But, then, I started listening.

tcktcktcktcktck...  Hmmm.  Oh, that's the timer for the lights.

Muuuhhhh.  Well, one of the cows must be near our fence again.

Grumble, thump. KaTHUMP.  ???  Ah, that was Rudee, flopping over in his doghouse.

Prrt? Thump. Thip, thip, thip, thip, prrrrrrrt???

Hello, Ding, yes, I am awake, sit here, if you'd like.

Soft rustles as she makes herself comfortable.  I hear Husband mumble slightly in his sleep.

The darkness continues.  I hear an owl.  Then a car go by.

I was amazed at how much noise there is in a quiet room...

Finally, sleepiness starts to overtake me, and I go back to bed, and lie down.

Prrt? (bleh)

Really, Ding?  Sleeping is the norm for humans, this time of night.  Thank you, but I don't want a toy mouse in my ear...

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Even without power the night sounds can get pretty loud. Last night before the cold front came through - I heard the frogs chirping the spring song.

Cperz said...

Oh, how I can relate to this. I am not a good sleeper and many nights I am up just sitting in the semi-quiet. Here in the city, the sounds differ a bit...big trucks, sirens, small airplanes (the corporate airport that is home to all the news and weather helicopters is about a mile from my house). Of course, when we go to our farm all of that changes for the better. Country sounds are far and away better than city sounds.

stephen Hayes said...

I agree that the night is filled with all sorts of strange noises. Ambien works wonders at quieting the sounds.

messymimi said...

We have cats in and out of the bedroom all night, too. They don't like to sleep much.

When i do have a sleepless night, i play the spelling game, where you take a word and see how many other words you can spell with just the letters in it. That generally puts me back to sleep fast!

Cat said...

We have that a bit later in the year, we have a few peeping right now, but the real 'symphony' will be in a few weeks...

Cat

Cat said...

Oh, yes, during college, I lived in town, and about a half block from a fire station... The change was rather a bit of culture shock! And yes, I must say, even if I find it "noisy" here at night, I like this noise much better than what I had there!

Cat

Cat said...

Well, Tylenol PM for me, but I figured at that time of morning, I would be the Walking Dead in the daytime... Meh... I don't know if anyone would be able to tell, but you know, you have to keep up appearances.

Cat

Cat said...

Ding is pretty good most of the time, she tends to sleep when we do, and if she doesn't want to, she just goes into the front room and plays, not a biggie. It's just the mouse in the ear bit that gets a bit much...

I might have to try that game.

Cat