Saturday, June 15, 2019

Garden saga continues...

The potatoes in the hay bales, they are doing extraordinarily well! 

Can I stop there? No... Ok...

I planted some summer squash seed, in the hay bales, along with some pumpkin seed.  They all came up, great and strong, and looking terrific!  The next morning... Stumps.  A slug fest, a slug FEAST, and my poor plants were the victims.  I have put ONE MORE batch of seed in, and totally covered the hay bales with diatomacious earth, until I can get some Sluggo, or something that will keep the little slimy monsters from ruining my new plants.  I don't have any copper, or I would make a barrier with THAT, too. (Supposedly, slugs don't like copper, it gives them a bit of a zap, and they don't go past the stuff.)

I put in Kohlrabi,  just a few days ago, so hoping for the best, as it was requested by a couple friends.

I planted 4 different kinds of corn, and nothing seems to be coming up.  However, no birds have eaten it, so the netting is doing its job.  But I really want the various corn types to do SOMETHING...

Planted beans.  Both green beans, and dry beans.  The dry beans are mostly because I like them, they are Wolverine's Orca dry beans.  Cool looking, some of the money goes to a good cause, and we'll have beans for eating.  Win, win, win!!!

I have some crookneck, zucchini, and my tomatoes, all doing okay, at this point.  The tomatoes seem a bit small, but I will give them a bit of time and attention, that should help.

The watermelon in the hay bale... It's okay. Not dying, not thriving.  It's... Meh.  The one in the soil, is doing better, but I had to have Husband help me by digging out a dock weed.  Nasty long roots on those things!  Well, he didn't realize the watermelon plant was there, and dropped a big clod of dirt on it... It's doing alright, but it did munch it a bit.  I have now put flags by all the items that need to be noticed, so hopefully that won't happen again... Eeep.

And, I have most of the weeding in all the beds finally down to a manageable level.  I do need to work on two of the beds, one is covered in... Dandelion starts?  I think?  The other is just wild grasses.  I hope to get them finished this next week sometime, or sooner, but this week seems to be filled up already... 

Time.  Let's see, there are 96 hours in a day, right??? 

1 comment:

messymimi said...

Gardens take a ton of time, in the heat, with the bugs, and you get enough for two meals if you are lucky, at least that's what some friends tell me. Hope you get a good crop from al of it and have plenty to both eat and give away.