Thursday, December 05, 2019

One thing at a time. NO CUTS!

I am slowly, extreeeeemmmmely slowly getting a handle on setting up and tearing down things for holidays and events.  I normally just do everything in a day, and then am wiped out for the time I should be enjoying myself.  Duh.  Dumb...

So, I have been making a list of what I have to do, and I try to put EVERYTHING.  Unlike some folks, I do lists.  I have even said to most of the family members, "If it ain't on the list, it don't exist."  Mom tends to do this, too, so I guess I am good stead.  Anyway...

I now use the list and make sure I put down, even if it's just mentally, what needs to be immediately taken care of.  What can wait, what needs to be done the day of. 

My Thanksgiving dinner?  I had a list of all the things I needed to do, and over a few days, I was able to get, find, and corral all the dishes and silverware.  (In fact, Husband had to help with the great "Find the Turkey Tray" hunt, we put it carefully away, it's large, and we don't want it damaged, but put it away a bit TOO well, took us about a good 20 minutes to find it!)  Washed, while we worked out if we'd need extra silverware.  Yep, so I washed them.  Then Husband was going into town, so I had him pick up a couple items that I overlooked.

He put the extra leaf in the table, I brought out the big tablecloth.  Setting up the table, get the turkey ready. Clean the potatoes, even had time to walk the peels out to the garden!  Trust me, that is not my normal way 'o doing things... Cough.

I kept checking things, making sure that I had stuff and nonce crossed off the list. 

About the only problem I had was that with the stove going, and Husband starting a fire so family would be warm... I nearly dozed off when I was supposed to be getting ready!  But I didn't hurt, from over doing, I wasn't screaming at Husband because I was freaked out... I was just ready to go!

It went pretty well, and we took care of all and sundry without too much chaos... And so, on to my Christmas List.

Husband hasn't decided whether to panic or laugh when I said next week is Full Santa Barf Mode...

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Well, Full Santa Barf Mode made me laugh! Whatever it means.

Now that you've found your groove, i hope you keep it.

Cat said...

It's just a goofy term we use, that there is so much decoration and fluff, that it looks like "Santa Barfed". It was a comment that happened when I was going nuts with the decorations, and it stuck... One of those oddball family things...

Cat

Cat