Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Fringe, Scarf, and In-Laws.

Well, now I have finished my fringe on the shawl, I think it really improves the look. I still don't know for sure where I might wear it, but all that have seen it, like it. Husband says don't be so sure I won't have a place to wear it. Hmmmm. ?
Oregon is finally catching up with the rest of the states, it's going to be HOT, HOT, HOT... Does anyone else think of that tune when the weather is above 90 degrees? Eh. Anyway, it's going to be way too hot to knit my other shawl, or much of anything with bulk or size, so what does a devoted, (read: obsessive) knitter do? Switch to a tiny project. I have this scarf, knit in a pattern called Dainty Bess (from http://www.knitpicks.com ) in a grey wool (Galler's Pony, made in Switzerland...) I think the diamonds will really show once it's blocked. At least it won't cook me while I am knitting. The bigger that shawl gets, the more of my lap is covered. At 106 degrees expected temp, I don't need MORE covering.

Father-in-Law and Step-Mom-in-Law are here. We will be entertaining them for a while as they visit local friends, go to various doctors appointments, catch up with kids and grandchildren, and continue to try and convince me of the virtues of Wal-Mart.

I am not convinced.

Oh, well. They are pretty nice people, and we have a seperate bedroom and bathroom for them, so all of us have some form of privacy, so it should go ok. I think. I have noticed a radical upswing in tissue boxes in random spots in the house... (Husband and I use kerchiefs.) Other than SMIL having a cleaning fetish that makes me feel like a slug, (she gets up and weeds at 4 in the morning, because she has nothing to do, since the rest of us don't get up until the ungodly late hour of 5:30... Heh...) But, it's only for a month, then she can head home and she will have lots to do, mostly 'cause they've been traveling for 6 months.

We are still dancing around who does what, where things go, and how the dishwasher is loaded. (SMIL thinks things should be washed before they go in, and no large items, i.e. pots. I figure, it fits, it goes. And why wash what is going to be washed?) So, in the spirit of compromise, I let her wash what she wants, and I stuff everything in when she's gone.

Hey, it keeps peace, and I still end up with clean dishes.

No comments: