Monday, April 13, 2009

Can't be done.

So... I was at spinning, and I made up some (I thought), rather pretty singles. (For my non-spinning friends, a single is what you make with one pass through the spinning wheel. Basically fluff to string. A single is then plied with other singles to make so many ply yarn.) I thought my singles looked nice. See?


I then said something about the singles being about right for knitting socks. One of the women in my group nearly roared, NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!

I am still a very new spinner, and wondered why.

I asked, so, why not?

She said (I swear), you just can't, it won't work.

Because, why?

At this point she looked around for conformation, consisting of a confused look (he doesn't knit), and two shrugs of ambivalence.

Hm.

So, my project is to knit this into "Can't be done" socks, and see why. I am willing to have something be a complete disaster, if it answers my question "WHY?" I mean, let's face it, it's not going to cause civil war, famine, pestilence, the earth to stop rotating on its axis, or well, much than waste my time...

Right?

Besides, they will make nice socks. As long as I don't do the earth stopping thing... That could be problematic.

No comments: