Wednesday, April 13, 2011

K. And Kool-Aid Jelly recipe...

K.  Well, there is knitting, working on socks, and a baby blanket, and an "Edwardian Carrying Cape".  FIL commented about my sitting and knitting, that it sure seemed to take a lot of time.  I just said, "yes, but it's worth it."  And went on knitting. 

VENT:  No one cares if I sit like a zombie and stare at the walls, or mindlessly watch television.  Let me be working on craft, and I get comments about how its distracting, takes too much time, is wasting time (wth?), or just is rude.  If I was stabbing someone with the needles, yeah, that would be rude.  And, possibly tempting, with some of those comments...

Kaitlen Kathleen.  Or Cat Lacemaker.  This is the role I play at my ren faire.  (Yes, Kaitlen isn't period.  I made up this character from bits and more bits, and couldn't find a good name to use, so I just came up with something that sounded nice.  I don't use K. K. all that often, instead I use Cat Lacemaker, which has almost become my given name at faire.) 

I have some 'hit and run' things I do at faire.  I talk to people as they walk along, and ask them if they like faire.  I try to find couples walking together.  If it is their first faire, I tell them about the many fine things of Shrewsbury, like the joust, food, and actors and performers.  Then I warn them to stay away from the gypsies, "for they may take this fine man!"  More than one woman has suddenly taken a death grip on said man's arm! 

I also have a rather disgusting one that I do, sheerly for shock value.  I come up to someone and say, "Good Day to you, I be named Cat.  Know you why I be named Cat?"  Most of the time the answer is no, why.*  I then meow, leading to a cough, and show them a "Hairball" (actually a large bit of wool wadded into a ball).  This has lead to peals of laughter, more than one shriek of "eeeeeewwww", and one person (there is always one), who asked seriously if I needed medical attention.  It's fun.

K is really annoying, I keep thinking of things I could write on, then realize it's spelled with a c, not a k.  (Why do we have two letters that sound exactly alike, anyway?  Don't tell me, I suppose it's because we have stolen most of our words from other countries...  Sigh.)

Kleptomania.  We had a recent, highly temporary, dry day, and I was looking out the window at a woman going by.  I watched her, standing by the window, as she passed.  In her hand was a bundle of daffodils.  She then spied the daffs that were along the front of my place.  I just watched her walk, and then suddenly, she turned and walked up my driveway, reaching for some of the daffs planted there.  I was mildly annoyed, she came ON the property for them.  I then realized she'd seen me looking out the window at her.  She pulled her hand back like she had touched a hot stove, turned and quick marched off  down the road.  Honestly, I wouldn't have thrown a fit, I would have even let her have the things, had she asked...  But I am glad her conscience got the best of her, she really didn't need to walk up my drive. 

Unless she wanted to ask...


Just because I was curious, I looked up Kool-Aid Jelly online, and this was the recipe that I used in high school, I found it on food.com's website.  Enjoy...

1 (1/4 ounce) package Kool-Aid, any flavor (no sugar added*)
1 (1 3/4 ounce) package sure-jell pectin

3 cups granulated sugar

3 cups water

Directions:

Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins

1 Mix water, Sure-Jell and Kool-Aid together.

2 Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

3 Stir in sugar.

4 Stir and bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.

5 Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

6 Remove from heat.

7 Quickly skim off foam with a large metal spoon.

8 Pour into jelly glasses and seal.

*I must say, one gent answered, because you are soft and fuzzy, and purr? Oh, my! Did I want to get riske' with that answer, but I did restrain myself. My character is not as pure as the driven snow, and that was such a tempting line...

2 comments:

The Village Queen said...

One of the things about being over 40 is I found my backbone. And my lip as in I give it. To the mr critical: and what are you doing that is a productive use of your time?
And to the flower picker, I would have flown out of the front door and said "the flowers are $5.00 each CASH!" The nerve of some people. You showed good restraint!

Cat said...

The Village Queen:

I have noticed my backbone transplant is doing well, but I have also learned not to argue with 80 year olds, they are even more stubborn than I am, (which actually says something, come to think of it...), but I just get tired of several of the family members thinking I am not "attending" when I am knitting. It actually helps me pay BETTER attention, rather than being completely bored with the conversation and zoning out. (And yes, I agree with you, what I knit is usually for charity or for someone who is having a baby, so I think I am not just sitting on my butt, eating bon bons, so to speak.)

Cat