Wednesday, November 16, 2011

N. Names and Nibbles.

I am bad at names.  I don't know if anyone else does this, but I can meet someone, and if you ask me a few days later about it, I can tell you all we talked about, I can tell you what they wore, if they were carrying something, all SORTS of details. 

Except, usually, the name.  Unless it's something odd.  Which is, from what I understand, unusual, if it's "John", it's normally more easily remembered than "Agamemnon". 

Go figure.  Leave it to me to be different.

I think it's inherited, however.  I remember, (pre-Internet), Dad was trying to remember the name of a restaurant in Portland.  We could all put our two cents in about the restaurant.  What kind of food, where it was, the service, you name it.  EXCEPT the name.  Discussion and debate ensued, and someone, I believe Dad, said it had to start with a S.  So we tried to come up with every S name in Portland, some weren't even restaurants. 

Finally, Mom dug out a Portland phone book from some lost corner of the house, and looked under Restaurants.  We found out the name was something like Burtelli's.  (Fortune would have it, we did this during the day.  Both Dad and my husband seem to have a great habit of thinking of something like that right before bed, and I don't know about Mom, but it drives me nuts until I think of it...)  Also shows you how much it made an impression, can't think of the proper name right now!  But it has led to a standing joke in our family, you can't remember the name, welllll, "it definitely starts with an S!" 

This was absolutely hilarious when I was in a knitting class.  I would try and ask the teacher about someone, could NOT remember the name.  She learned to ask what the person was working on... Oh, that would be the Aran colored panel afghan.  She wold think, and a half second later, oh, you mean Rose Mary...

(I did find out I was not the only one in the class doing this, since we had a fair amount of turn over occasionally, this was actually a fairly easy way for us to GET names...)

So, if I ever meet any of you in person, and see you again later, please know I will appreciate you, think you are a neat person, and probably have lots to talk about.

But your name?  Ummm... 

*****************************************

On a different note, someone had mentioned they would like the recipe for the cookies I made for the potluck I spoke of a few days ago.  I make these only at Christmas, and only to take somewhere, as I can't stay out of them. I have few things that I say this about, but these things are death to my waistline. 

So:

Ghirardelli Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 bag (11.5 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 bag (12 oz.) Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup (4 oz.) chopped walnuts

In double boiler over hot water, melt the bittersweet chocolate chips and butter.  In large bowl with mixer, beat eggs and sugar until thick; stir in chocolate mixture.  In small bowl, stir flour and baking powder; stir into chocolate mixture.  Gently mix in semi sweet chocolate chips and walnuts.

Using a sheet of plastic wrap, form dough into two logs, each 2 inches in diameter, and about 8 inches long.  As dough will be very soft, use plastic to hold dough in log shape.  Wrap tightly.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or until firm.

Preheat oven to 375*.  Unwrap dough, with sharp knife, cut into 3/4 inch slices.  Place slices 1 1/2 inches apart on greased or parchment lined cookie sheet (non stick will also work).  Bake 12 minutes or unti shiny crust forms on top and interior is still soft. 

Cool on baking sheet.  Enjoy!  

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I can't remember names either, one of the reasons that I like avatars, they work great.... That is, until somebody changes theirs to something WAY different. Then it's confusing.

I will not be making any of your cookies, I will just plaster the butter and chocolate etc on my gut and thighs, because that's where they would go anyway. Besides, I am too lazy to cook.

messymimi said...

What was the name of those cookies again?;)

The recipe is almost exactly like my fudgie cookies, all chocolate and sugar and very, very little flour. Only i don't spring for Ghirardelli.

Cat said...

messymimi:

I didn't name them... I think Chocolate Overload might be a more appropriate moniker, myself. I only spring for the big G stuff at holidays. Figure it's a gift... Oh, and Lazy Gardener's soup, had some this eve, it really came out well!

Cat