Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for...

Quilts.

Specifically, crazy quilts.  I have wanted to make one, (the name alone fits my personality), and so I read the definition...

A warm bed covering made of padding enclosed between layers of fabric and kept in place by lines of stitching, typically applied in a decorative design.

Urf.  I don't sew.  I kept considering the fact that I wanted to make a quilt.

Then I considered a fact.  Knitting, when finished, is a FABRIC.

If I make a quilt top of knitting... Hmmm.

And I have a backing which is a large sheet, the size I want the blanket to be.  Hmmm, again.

I chatted with Mom about it, and mentioned my latest crazy obsession plan, and she suggested a flannel center, that would give it more warmth without thickness...

Bingo!

And so I have started my quilt.  I have some swatch squares, (I knew there was a use for those things), and I have some started project pieces that I decided were much too fiddly to ever complete, and then the actual, crazy, just go with the idea part...


The little red bow is to show the front.  I know it looks ragged at the moment, but when I start adding it together, it will even out.  But it will, indeed be a very loose, not planned, part of my knitting.  

And I think it's going to be a blast.  I am knitting it along with other projects, but in the back of my mind is the little hamster wheel spinning, 'what yarn will go with purple?  Do I have any novelty yarn that I can add to the right side?  Where will I put the knitted daisy I want to put on?'  

And, because I like to crochet edgings, but usually don't have a place for them around the house... I now have lots of places to put "stitching"...   

Onward to the madness!!!
*****

And I know that it's a day late, but P is for Photo bomb.  Ding did  that quite well with the first picture... She walked in and started sniffing, right as I snapped the pic.  She likes quilts, too, I take it!


2 comments:

stephen Hayes said...

Ding obviously approves of your quilting.

messymimi said...

Cute photo bomb, and i like your idea for a quilt! It's going to look wonderful!