Wednesday, April 06, 2016

E is for Early Bird. Not...



Mon Ami was a rescue, from a family that had hand raised him.  He didn't know how to do the poultry thing, when he first came here.  He was even afraid of the other chickens, and the lawn.  He watched the other birds, though, and figured out, wow, I can do this.  And then he figured out he was a rooster, and seems to have been a happy bird since.

The one thing he doesn't do, is crow early.  Most of the roosters I've had, 3 to 4 a.m., they would  be starting crowing, jumping down from the roost to stretch, flap wings, and bellow hello to the morning.  

Mon Ami takes a rather more casual approach.  He will let the day know he's awake, eventually.  He does crow, but I have more than once heard him crow, oh, at the crack of 7ish...  He will crow at other times of the day, if he's happy, if he's angry, or when he is high up on a perch.

But greeting the day, he's happy to let someone else be an 'early bird'!

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Cute post, Cat! Now, that's the kind of rooster that I would like!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved this post. Stopping in from A-Z and had a great time.

stephen Hayes said...

How does the saying go? The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like that guy. He's perfect for those of us who like to sleep a little later.
Susan Says

Weekends in Maine said...

I agree, that's my kind of rooster too!

@WeekendsInMaine
Weekends In Maine

Cperz said...

I think Mon Ami is the most polite rooster I have ever been introduced to. No doubt, he want to make sure he isn't disturbing anyone that would like to sleep in a bit. I am thinking I would be better off with a rooster than my sweet cat, Chantel who is under the mistaken impression that 5 AM is breakfast time.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Smart bird - he sleeps in!

messymimi said...

Good for him! There's a great story in there, maybe a kid book, the rooster that liked to crow late!