Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q is for Queen...

I had this really neat kitty, big old longish haired, grey striped cat, bright yellow eyes.  It walked just like John Wayne, from the back.

So, I named him Duke.

Duke lived up to his name, he'd eat, and fight, and be the biggest, most aggressive cat.  Ran most everyone else off.  He loved me, though.  I would feed him on the bin where we kept the food, and he would purr so loudly, you'd thought his Mom was a Peterbilt.

We'd had him for about a year or two, where he came from was anyone's guess, people were unduly fond of dumping cats out near our place, since we were in the country.  (Snarl...)

But then I couldn't find him.  He was gone for about 3 days or so.  I was really worried, and Mom and Dad even checked the road, a definite danger to our animals there.

Then I saw Duke jump up on the bin like always, purring.  However, this time, I heard little squeaks...

Huh?

I peeked behind the bin, and there, by an engine block, were 4 tiny kittens.  This wasn't a real safe place for them, so we moved the kittens, and Duke, giving them a spot with a bit more warmth, and a bit less mechanical decor.

Oh, and I renamed her Duchess...


5 comments:

Sharon said...

Very cute 'tail'

stephen Hayes said...

Well, it would seem the Duke (or Duchess) didn't fight off ALL the other cats.

messymimi said...

Heeheehee! They can fool you to a point, then "the cat is out of the bag"! Sorry, i couldn't help it!

Yvonne Ventresca said...

Lovely story with a happy ending. :)

Visiting from A to Z,
Yvonne V

Cperz said...

So Duke or Duchess, as the case may be, was a bit promiscuous as it turned out. What fun though. Is there anything cuter than little kittens?? NO, nothing is cuter.