Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Memorial.

A friend of mine died unexpectedly from a car wreck.  I had been moping about it for a while.  Husband had actually known her and her husband longer than I had.  We went to her memorial, and I just watched for a little while.

This was a gal that was exuberant, and was happy.  She had had breast cancer, and so when she wore something to keep warm, as she'd lost her hair?

Jester caps!

A hat that looked like R2D2!

One that looked like she had a TARDIS on her head...

You get the idea.  In fact, at her memorial where she worked, (there was two, one for people from work, one for family and close friends), all of her hats were table toppers.

Bright colors were generally the norm, if she wasn't wearing something related to Doctor Who.  She and I would have discussions on that show, as well as Star Trek, and various books.  She kept chiding me to update, as I haven't seen much of any of them since the Doctor's 6th regeneration.  (Matt Smith seemed to be her favorite.  Didn't get a chance to ask what she thought of Jodie Whittaker.)  I knitted her a Tom Baker Doctor Who scarf.  We amused a few people at the Ren Faire, when we both were wearing them (I made myself one), at the same time.

Anywho, back to my observation.

I realized that she had friends all across the spectrum.  I have been to memorials where there are mostly older people, or younger people.  Mostly men that knew the deceased, or in one case, mostly knitters.

But her memorial, there were young folks, there were some older (I hesitate to say elderly, but they had seen several more winters than I have... Ahem.) Some that I know are conservative, others radically liberal, some who were neither.  Some that smoked and drank and partied, some that didn't.  She was friends with, and happy about all.

And it came through when we were together.

She had a unique habit of going to the liquor store to pick up something for a drink she was making, and she would pick up a bottle of something else, not because she was going to drink it, necessarily, but, it was a pretty color.  Or the label was neat.  The color of the booze was interesting...  So there was a long table of that, too.  He asked everyone to feel free to take that, as well.

I looked, but I don't drink.  Then I spotted it.  A green bottle shaped like a cat.  I double checked, yep, take it.  I did.

Someone, knowing I don't drink, asked what it was.  I had to read it to them, it seems to be some sort of wine.  I didn't take it for the contents, however.  Several folks did, and some were... very happy and relaxed, by the time they left.  (There was a check on who was the designated driver, too...)

There was a couple boxes sitting, and her Husband said that he'd like everyone to pick out a hat for themselves.  I looked at the hats.  One was a narrow jester hat with bells on.  I tried it on, and it was just a bit too tight, but I decided to keep it, as I remembered hearing her walk into camp more than once wearing it.  She always commented she could tell when I was walking into her camp, as I have a set of bells I wear, and she said they were distinctive, she could tell mine from all the other bell wearing types at faire. (Which is saying something at a Ren Faire, trust me!!!)  But the hat was uncomfortable.  So I took it off, and put my regular, wide brimmed hat back on.

Someone noticed her "horn top" hat.   I truly don't know what else to call it.  It's a round black cap, with a long black beaver tail flap behind, and the whole thing is covered in bright colored fabric horns.  It looks like someone skinned a prehistoric party animal!  I mentioned that I'd already taken a hat, and the daughter said no, it's fine, I bet it will fit you.  I "hmmmd" a bit, then stuck it on over my other hat.

It fit perfectly!  I remember my friend wearing that one a lot, it was one of her favorites.  And I thanked the daughter, and wore it the rest of the gathering.  Someone in the group mentioned that I looked a lot like her, wearing it.

I think my friend might have been looking down, cracking up at me.

At least I hope so... :)

1 comment:

messymimi said...

My condolences to you and all of her family and friends. She sounds like someone i would have very much enjoyed knowing.