Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Notre Dame

Wow.

Just... Wow. 

Happened to turn on the TV, randomly, yesterday.  I was slapped in the face with the image of billowing smoke and flame, on that amazing building.  I watched as the spire fell, and all the while, just had a rotten feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Is everyone out?  What about the people who work there?  Are the firefighters okay?

It turns out, no one was hurt, (last I heard, this morning), and they were able to save some items, paintings, relics... And they are talking of rebuilding.  Oddly enough, it was repair that might have caused the problem, but sadly, accidents do happen.  Doesn't make it any nicer, but there it is.

I keep having this image of the beautiful stained glass window, just yellow and orange.  But again, it will be replaced.  Macron is saying it will be rebuilt. 

I keep having this thought that it took something on the order of 2 centuries to be put up in the first place.  I have a sneaking thought it isn't going to be a weekend project now.  I am guessing they will have to check the stone, and whatever structures are left, to make sure it doesn't have any weakening from the fire BEFORE they even think of new structures... 

I am rather sure, however, that my oddball thought of giant blue tarps covering the roof will not happen.  Let's just say, I think the French would have ANOTHER revolution.  But, build they will.

But as sad as it is, there is still the people.  And with people, there is hope. 

Dieu te bénisse*, to all, let us all work to a stronger future. 



(God Bless You, Google's fault if it's wrong...)

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Having stood there and seen those windows, my heart is breaking. How much more the people who live there must be feeling it.

Cat said...

I told Husband, had I ever gotten the chance to go to France, I wanted to see Notre Dame, more so even than the Eiffel Tower...

Cat