Thursday, June 20, 2019

Little... Green? Fire Truck..

Husband has been working on a pump system... We have a giant tank, and we needed a way to (in the event of an emergency, please no no no!!) pump the water if there would be a fire.  He made up a big pump system, and then made an attachment to the back of our John Deere tractor, off of the power take off  (PTO).  He worked quite a bit to make this large enough for fire suppression.  So, he told me he was going to test it.

I walk out to see him getting a big black pipe, which goes to the pump, then it goes to the fire hose, and out to the 'cannon'.  I stand back and watch as he turns the water on, starts the pump.  The fire hose inflates, the cannon shoots, and suddenly the front part of our field is doused with an enormous plume of water.  While I can't say for sure, I am guessing it was about oh, 60-80 feet high.  I know it nearly reached the closest trees, which are quite a ways up our hill.  I think the plume could easily covered our house.  Which, of course, is the point...

He had to do a bit of back and forth on a few things, making the water not spray from a place on the pump, and do some adjustments so it wouldn't rattle or shake.

I told him I was surprised that the next door neighbor kid wasn't at the fence watching.  Husband mentioned that it was rather early.  I had forgotten that we were doing this at about 7:30 am, or a bit later, which, for most kids around here, is a bit early during summer break.  So, we watched, and photographed, and Husband worked out a few things.  He then finished up and put things away.

He told me later that his doings sprayed about 3000 gallons of water.  I told him, gee, you could have watered the garden in about 2 seconds!

Of course, if he HAD, the garden would also be washed over to the neighbor's house!

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Kudos to your husband, i hope you never have to use this system, ever!

Cat said...

Yes, we have said that this would be just fine if all his work was just to be sitting there and tested occasionally... Eeep!

Cat