Saturday, July 20, 2019

Houston, we have a cookie.

(Mom had mentioned about sending this in to the paper. Meh, even if I don't, I have it here...)

Where were you when Man Landed On The Moon?

I was on a table.  My family was having one of their get-togethers, and I was small, getting near my second birthday.  I was small enough I knew something important was going on on TV, but my attention span wasn't exactly long, and that, even then, TV was mostly background. 

I was set up on the table, right near the TV.  I watched the funny figures bounce around a bit.  One had a flag, and was putting it in the ground. Salutes, and some more bouncing, and lots of beeping when they talked. 

I was handed a cookie.  An Oreo, to be exact.  I love Oreos, and this was a special treat.  I was busily removing the top cookie, to get at the filling, and knowing my prowess in  eating, probably leaving a trail of crumbs all over the general area.  And on me, most likely. 

So for any that think of "Moon" food, my first thought goes not to Moon Pies, or even dehydrated packages.  I think of Oreos.

ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN, ONE YUMMY COOKIE FOR ME...

Hmm.  No, don't think that will catch on... 

(And a story related to this, I had a friend that mentioned an event, and I had no knowledge of it.  He was very upset, you should know this, yada yada yada, and I said, hey, how old were you at the Moon Landing? As the other event was near the same time.  He then told me he was in his early 20's in the Marine Corps, doing x, y, and z.  I told him, I was just shy of 2, sitting on a table eating an Oreo.  I have a REASON that I don't know about that event!  After a bit of a stunned expression, he said, I thought you were much older than that... 

Good save, dude...)

2 comments:

messymimi said...

It might not become a national slogan, but it certainly is a good family story!

The gentleman who fussed at you about not remembering it better needs some tact lessons, as does the man who fussed at me when he asked about where i was when JFK was shot.

He was ranting at me and when i could finally get a word in i said, well, i guess i was in my playpen, since i was only 4 months old at the time. He got very quiet after that.

This is why i try to never guess someone else's age, inevitably i am off.

Cat said...

OOOH! Checked through my blog entries, and don't think I have the story for the incident... Yes, it was probably a bit less than tactful, but he and I got along well, and now I have a new blog entry to write! :)
Cat