Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Shifting Bricks.

I guess they finally aged enough.  Or my motivation was motivated.  SOMETHING, at any rate.  I now have the start of a small "patio" for my garden.  

A friend gave us a bunch of bricks, I guess they have some problem so they leech salt, or some such.  (efflorescence, if you want the technical term.  Which is not to be confused with effervescence, which was what I heard the first time.  Bubbly bricks???)  Well, the leeching can be 'fixed' by pouring vinegar on it, or letting the rain, which I gather is slightly toward acid, wash out the salt.  I am not that worried about it.  

The last few days have been a process of getting up, feeding, then moving the bricks from the storage area, to the set up area.  Husband made sure that was only a few feet away, and wouldn't get in the way of moving things in and out of the barn.  I played with some ideas, Husband made some suggestions, and then I started.  

The only problem was when he'd make MORE suggestions, or I would have a problem.  I am working out what's wrong, he's figured it out- and giving me several different suggestions on what to do.  I told him, when I am on problem one, giving me three answers to problem seven isn't going to help, until I know what do do about problem ONE!  I love my Husband, but he has so much background, in so many things, and doesn't realize that some folks (read:ME), have a hard time keeping up.  But, eventually, it made sense, and I started getting the bricks laid out.  

They are now laid out, ready to be put into the area for them.  I told Husband that Noah's Ark method (carry two bricks at a time), was fine for the set up, but when I put them in, I am going to use a wheelbarrow or dolly, I would like to finish the thing before next season!  

I am now working on making the area level, so I cut the high spots down, check with a level, move the cat, scrape some more, check with level, take cat off leg, repeat.  I really don't mind the kitty, I just wish I wasn't... impaled... each time she wants my attention.  Or jumped on, though that didn't happen as much this time.  I think it was because I had a large item in my hand most of the time, either hoe tool or level.  

I am nearly finished with that.  Next, a barrier to keep weeds from growing up through, sand, to bed the bricks in, then sand on top to get into all the crevices.

And then collapse...

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Sounds like quite a chore that will end up as a very nice patio.

If you want a good barrier to keep anything from growing up through the bricks, may i recommend salting the ground. Nothing will grow there for years!

Cat said...

That is indeed true. But we were able to get some ground cover, a lighter version of what they use for road beds, and then sand, so, things shouldn't grow, and if they do, they SHOULD be easy to remove... I hope.
Cat