Thursday, July 18, 2019

Slow and steady, with some wobbling.

I haven't talked about it much, but I am slowly starting again on losing some lard.  Strangely, I had a bit of motivation reading an email at work.  There is some sort of competition where everyone keeps track of steps.  The one who has most consistently gone over 5000 steps each day, is the winner.  (I believe it was for the month of July.)  

I can't participate in the competition, but I finally got out my step counter, and have kept it on me pretty regularly.  I have, MOST days, been able to get 5000 steps.  Not a bunch more, but enough that I am becoming mindful of it.  I am also slowly making some other changes, but this is the big one.  I am just working on walking more. 

I suppose part of it, besides the general "I want to be more fit" part, is the thing I was told not so long after my car wreck.  My legs were torn up pretty badly, and the doctor had made great strides in getting me back into more or less one piece. 

I still remember, though, him sitting by my bedside not too long after the surgery, and saying, "Yes, it went well.  I repaired what I could, but I want you to know, you will be in a wheelchair by age 60." 

Well, excuse my language, but shit on that noise!  So I walk.  Retired Knitter suggested on her blog about the Walking for Fun website.  I chose the Pacific Crest Trail, and have added that to my walking. (I have finally made enough progress on it that you can see where I am, the little tabs aren't one behind another!)  I still don't like walking in the house, but it's a bit safer when it's wet, and when I get up at 4-5 in the morning, I *really* don't want to walk on the road.  I have all the protective gear, but I know some of the drivers around here... 😐 

I still need to work on my diet... The ol' Seafood diet, I see food, I eat it, sort of defeats the 'let's move' part of the program.  So I am trying to drink more tea,  (Husband bought me a case of my favorite kind for my birthday!  YAAAAY!!), as well as drinking more water. 

I have been trying to inch toward eating more vegetarian... ish.  I have enough pig, cow, and chicken in the freezer, though, it's not going to be gone anytime soon.  But I can make that ONE meal, rather than 2 or 3, at least...

And, the garden goodies, when ripe, won't hurt.  If I don't flood anything with butter. Ahem. But, since I can mow through a pile of crookneck, butter or not, it shouldn't be too bad...

Now, I just have to keep a lot of the goodies I like out of the house.  I make cookies, so I try to make ones that I can ignore, that Husband likes, (as well as the deputies), and have just about cleaned the house of any chips or chocolate, so I am able to ignore that.  Mostly...

So, we shall see if I can get back on the downswing of things! 



2 comments:

messymimi said...

There was a weight loss doctor several years ago who went into that field in part because she was always battling it herself, and she wanted to help herself and others.

One year, she decided to do an experiment. She would not diet at all, not purposely overeat or snack all of the time, of course, but not specifically diet. Instead she would change just one thing and do it for a year and see if it made a difference.

That one thing was to walk for 40 minutes, four times a week. She did it, sick or well, rain or shine, in town or out, for a whole year.

At the end of the year, she had not lost any weight, but unlike other years when she had not actively dieted, she had not gained a pound, either.

Also, she said her hips trimmed considerably, her clothes fit better, her skin glowed, and she didn't get winded when running for an airplane or rushing up the stairs.

So take heart that even if you feel your diet needs to change, just by exercising more you are doing your body a great service and improving your health immensely.

Cat said...

Yes, when I walk, I do feel better, I am a bit annoyed with my pedometer, I have dropped it a few times, some by accident, but I swear sometimes, that darn thing wants to escape and go hitch a ride with someone else. I toasted it the other day, when it decided to slip off my pocket and roast on the car seat in the sun. It seems to be... okay, but I am working on getting one less "lose-able". Hmmm.
Cat