Thursday, October 17, 2019

Hats, love 'em or hate 'em.

I have quit with medication for my Rosacea.  It has been going okay, after quitting chocolate and soda.  Oddly, I thought I would be having a big problem with quitting chocolate, but it's not too bad, I even made cookies with chocolate chips, and didn't snitch any...  This from a woman that would buy an extra bag so I could sneak a snack... But it's working.

Also, I am wearing sunscreen, and a hat.  I am to the point now, it's just like putting on any other bit of clothing, but I really didn't like wearing hats.  But, I found a hat or two that I don't mind wearing, and look good with pretty much anything, so it works.  Hats seem to be a thing people either enjoy, or do NOT like...

I find babies despise hats.  One of my friends had a little one, (now a much OLDER one), that like me, had way fair skin, which is just begging for a sunburn.  Mom would put a hat on her, and one of two things would happen.  She would go into Harriet Houdini mode, and get out of it, take it off, and toss it, if it was tied, or just skip to taking it off and tossing it, if it wasn't.  Or, if there was that amazing off chance that the hat COULDN'T be removed, she of the light skin would cry and tear at the hat, and generally act miserable, until shade could be found, and hat removed.  I don't know if I was that picky, as a baby, but I really didn't think much of hats.

I have been knitting hats again, some.  I have the Shop with a Cop group, I have not committed to making a set amount of hats.  That way leads to high stress levels.  I have just been, oh, free time, knit a cap, throw it in the collection box.  That way, they get hats, I can do, or not, as I please, and all is good...  And another part of the station has made a call out for winter clothing.  I asked if they needed hats, it sounds like they do, so I will have to see what I can whip up... I am finding that just doing a few things when I am in a mind to, rather than, oh, we need 65 hats in two weeks, tends to make my eyelid twitch a lot less!

I haven't made up any tags but I have also thought about making a few hats for Loved and Found project. You leave hats in random places as a random act of charity.  It seems like a fun idea...

Now if I get to 500 hats, do I get to nickname myself Bartholomew Cubbins?  (Thank you, Dr. Suess!)
 

2 comments:

messymimi said...

You are probably well past 500, considering how long you've been doing it. Please don't let that idea give you twitchy lids, it's something to be proud of.

If i ever found a hat i liked and that looked good on me, i might enjoy it. #2 Son looks fabulous in a Fedora.

Cat said...

The making of hats is not the twitchy part, it's the idea that I have to produce way more than I really have time for in way short order. (Let's say, more than 20 is way too many in two weeks... And that's if it's plain, unadorned hats!)

The one I have is a variation on the Hoss Cartwright hat. Shorter on the top, and not curled on the sides, most of the time. And was grey, now a soft green...

Cat