Saturday, January 25, 2020

11 months until Christmas. And gloves.

Yes, that bugs a lot of folks.  While I do enjoy Christmas, I am not waiting with baited breath by the calendar.  That being said, I do keep an eye on how much time from now until then.

Why?

The biggest concern, I will make presents for people.  Not usually this early, but I do keep in mind, well, for example, if I would make a shawl or sweater, I would need a few months to work on it.  A pair of socks, oh, a week.  With the exception of one darned time, the yarn I needed for a pair showed up on the 23rd of December, and I did a pair in 2 days.

With very little sleep.

Which is probably why they didn't fit the recipient... Go figure...

And, I try, when I can, to see what people need, or want, and shop to get said things, so when Christmas, (or birthday, or X's Day, what have you), rolls around, I have the item in my "Christmas cupboard" ready to go.  Yes, an actual cupboard, It was a small entertainment center for a ginormous TV, which has long since gone to the place of infinite repeats, but the center was fine.  Strong, and big enough for most presents.

Okay, the 6 foot ladder for Mom didn't fit in it, but MOST of the items do.  Just an aside, do you know it takes almost a full roll of wrapping paper to cover a six foot box with a ladder in it?

So, when I see the 25th roll around, I do calculations, x number of months until Christmas.  Right now, 11.

So.  Now you know...  :)

Am I the only crazy one?  Please don't answer that...

And the forces of the internet universe aligned, so here is a picture of my "Grandma's rug" gloves.  Still working on the scarf...  Oh, and Mom said the rug went to one of Grandma's family in California.  That makes me happy!



4 comments:

messymimi said...

Those are some kind of crazy, cool gloves. It's always a happy thing when a family item goes to extended family. Makes it feel like it's not lost to us.

Yes, i keep track of the amount of time until birthdays and holidays and etc., as i have to save up for them, so you are not crazy.

Retired Knitter said...

In 2019 I knit gifts for Christmas - part of their present from me. I started in April. The gifts I made for the most part were in fingering weight yarn. It took longer than I planned. I will plan better next time if I am knitting gifts for a holiday or an event. Last year I decided that I would no longer knit for holidays. Knit for people and give it when the object is done. Now I am reconsidering that decision. Haha. It is only January and the whole year is ahead of me.

Oh my - will I ever learn. Probably not!

Cat said...

Messimimi: Yes, after seeing a rug that was a mess go to the dump, I was worried it was Grandma's... Glad to know it wasn't. I know about the saving bit, too, I have a coin jar for Christmas...

Cat

Cat said...

Retired Knitter: I found that I am a lot more "picky" about knitting for others, I had several things I knit either "Oh, don't know why you gave me this", or worse, one person THREW AWAY an item I'd knit them, as it was wool, and they had washed it, it bled slightly, and so they didn't want it anymore! Ack!

Anyway, the ones I do knit for, I make a point to check IF they want it, and color and such, it's not usually a surprise, but it works out better that way... Sigh. And idea, if you get too close to the event, a friend of mine did this, I don't know if it was her idea or not, but fun, she put the yarn, and a set of needles, and the pattern, with a sticky note on it, reading, "This is your present after I knit it." Most are quite happy!

Cat