Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Quiet... Good and... Well, guess it's good...

I am sitting here again, doing my usual Tuesday Volunteer Receptionist gig.  

And no one has come in, or called.  This is really a good thing.  Really.

Since I work at a substation, people frequently come in with reports of, oh, theft, driving problems, disputes with neighbors, and so on... This generally means, I take information, call dispatch, and a deputy has to come out and take care of the problem.  

So if I am doing nothing, I am not adding to the workload of the group...  Although, there are folks I can help with problems, like directions, (most of the time), boating manuals, or paperwork that people need for various things like getting permits, or signing up for things.  And just the occasional one or two that need someone to talk to... 

But, I am sitting here typing, looking over at the phone, which is dark.  Dark means it hasn't been activated (i.e. ringing, or my making a call) for much more than 30 minutes.  

I try not to be grumbly about this, I know when the various deputies come in and ask how it's going and I say "Very quiet", I generally see a large grin, "OH, GOOD!"  Not that they don't want anything to do.  Far from it, they are usually coming in to get the latest umpty-umpth report taken care of, or a quick bite to eat... Which I have seen more than once, they walk in, ready to have lunch, they get a call, run over and grab a handful of candy, or an apple from the snack area, and say, more philosophically than I could, "Lunch!", and run back out the door.  

I have asked, there is a shortage of Law Enforcement nation wide, how about here?  Yep... Sigh. Oh... 

So, I am teased a bit about my "Bag of Tricks" that I bring in.  I generally have writing paper, knitting, a book...  And I know one or two of the other volunteers do the same.  One has knit several hats and small blankets.  One has read most of the Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler books...  

We don't have much to do on occasion, but when we do, it's nice to help.  But you know, I keep thinking, maybe I should see about getting a few of my DVD's out... ; )



4 comments:

messymimi said...

A quiet day for law enforcement is a good thing. Thank you for doing what you can to help them and take care of things that don't really need an officer's attention.

Retired Knitter said...

What a great volunteer job! Useful, social and gives you time to do some fun things like read and knit.

Cat said...

Messimimi: I like to think I do help a little, I mean, I can hand out booklets with the best of them! Heh... And, they don't mind the cookie donations, either...

Cat

Cat said...

I do a bit of stuff for the office as well, so I would say it's a win-win for most everyone...

Cat