Thursday, January 16, 2020

Workin' for a livin'... Or not.

I have had this oddball thing happen, more than once, that I am at a store, and I get someone that all but yards me over by a sleeve, and demands to know where something is.  If I know, I tell them that I don't work there, but it's on X aisle. 

Okay, I was truly evil once, this lady would not accept that I didn't work at the place, and that I was to take care of some problem.  After somewhat patiently, then not so patiently, explaining that I didn't work there, and didn't know how to take care of said problem, (I think it was a return for a wrong size sweater, or some such, not a big deal, but...), she wouldn't take no for an answer,  I finally told that it was a problem for "my" manager, and she needed to go up to the front and talk to Sam Igness.  She stormed up to the front, saying she'd tell him what a rotten clerk I was. 

Then I left.

To this day, I hope there was no one by the name of Sam Igness there...  And since I didn't work there, I still wonder if they had a clue who, or WHAT she was talking about.

I have a habit of wearing vests, and I make sure to check what color they are at various stores, I learned early on, that is a sign you will get grabbed for info, returns, or whatever else the retail folks have to endure...  I think the worst was an electronics store, I had nearly the same color vest, and some guy came up to me and asked about some foo foo thing for his stereo.  I told him I had no clue.  He said, and they HIRED you?  I said, no, and I think it might be a good thing.  Then walked off to get my item.  He snorted and said something, but I wasn't going to respond, good or bad. 

Surprisingly, it hadn't happened in a while.  But, I guess my karma wasn't paid up for the week...

I was at a restaurant, at the coast, (we went over to see the storm come in, during high tide, AWESOME!!!!), and after a 2 1/2 hour drive, I had to pee.  We walk in, Husband holds the table, and I walk back to the bathroom.  Now, I have a gray hat on, with a sparkly band, a red vest over a light grey sweatshirt, and jeans.   I don't know about you, but this doesn't strike me as "food handler" clothes, especially with my hair down, and around my shoulders.

I  walk to the front, and this gal comes into the place with a bag... And then walks in my path and stops dead.  Did I mention I had to pee?  Badly?  I start to move around her, thinking she had just accidentally walked in front of me, but no.

"You work here, take this, I don't know where your garbage is!" 

I stepped back one, then with a side step, I said, "No, I don't work here, and I don't know where it is either."  I then hot footed it to the bathroom.  Only when I get through the entry door of the bathroom, do I realize she is FOLLOWING me, and NOT happy.  Luck was with me, when she entered the bathroom, she saw the trashcan they have right near the door.  She slammed the bag into the can, and said, "I am going to tell your manager!  I have a right to-" the door closed at this point, so I don't know what she had a right to, and quite frankly, don't care.  I finished my job, and saw she and a gent in the back of the restaurant, eating, and she never accosted me again, so that's good. 

Oh, and what were the severs wearing at the restaurant?  Black, allllll black, shoes, slacks, black shirt with name on one side.

Yeah, I can see how that my outfit could be mistaken...

3 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Wow, you certainly have run into a number of weird folks. I can't believe they don't accept the response - I don't work here.

messymimi said...

When i clean, i wear a blue apron just the color of the ones they wear at Wal-Mart, so i have to remember to take it off if i stop on the way home...

Cat said...

Yes, I would think "I don't work here" would be rather straight forward, but I have, as you can see, had people unfamiliar with the concept, I guess... ?

Oh, and yes, the blue apron. I went in wearing a blue shirt, similar color, and was asked at least three times where x thing was. I found it easier just to tell them...

Cat