Friday, March 20, 2020

Yes, Virginia, I did a blog...

Good morning, it's 4:30 a.m., and I have internet... Thought I would catch up my blog friends.

I believe it was last Monday.  We woke to...

More accurately, Husband woke to reading of an outbreak of coronavirus near us. He woke me, and he and I talked it over, and decided that what we needed, food, feed, and supply wise, because we figured it would be nuts.

We were right.

I was just trying to cover basic things, but shopping for a slightly longer period, We shop weekly, so I lengthened it some.  I don't like the term "prepper", when it's used for the ones that hide in bunkers and expect the worst to happen any second, with a rifle sitting nearby.

I have lived a fair way from town my whole life.  Our power, where we live has been a crap shoot, it has become better over time, but a few days without power hasn't been unusual.  So I always buy just a bit more when I can swing it, and put it back.  Winter storms can be much better enjoyed with hot dogs and popcorn... (Yes, Mama kept us fed and entertained, both of those could be cooked by a fire in the fireplace!)

I went to stores where I had half a cart, people were already at the point they were having trouble pushing the cart because it was so full.  And yes, even before the virus hit, our Costco people were getting deliveries of toilet paper, and pallets would be set upon and disappear in seconds.

I bought a 9 roll. That's all I needed (different store), and one lady peeked in my cart, then looked incredulous. "That's ALL you're buying?!??" I said it was all I needed.
She looked at me like I had grown an ear on the end of my nose, shook her head, and grabbed more potty paper...

Husband bought fuel and feed, wile I bought the house goods.  Grocery stores were zoos, but most were just urgent, not angry or mean.  We both finished, made sure my parents were okay, and planned on staying home.

I then received a call from my 'boss', I was told that the Sub was shut, and I should stay home until they call me back. Considering I had just talked to the guy heading up emergency services, who works out of the building, it was no surprise.

The next day, I would have gone to the sub, I was busy checking inventory.  Checking with my parents, who live locally, with Husband's parents, and brother, who don't. They seem to be fine. :)

I made a second trip to town for my parents, they are in the high risk category, I'm not, to pick up a prescription and a few items.  Stores were starting to look bare, and everyone looked like you were going to attack them.  I finished up, and we plan to stay home for a long while, if necessary.

I have more than enough to do.  I am knitting a Hap shawl, crocheting a Mandala, I have a list of cleaning and things I have wanted to do, but never had enough time. Well, time seems to be in abundance right at the moment, so I am going to take advantage...  I will have to make up some sort of cover for my garden beds, but I will be planting some cold weather crops, see what happens.

So, if you don't hear from me much, the internet here has gone from bad to rediculous, any time after about 7 am it slows to a crawl, and by mig morning is unusable. To that end, my blog friends, I will write, just less often.

Ever



3 comments:

messymimi said...

Know that i'm thinking of and praying for you whether we can blog or not. Stay safe and well!

Retired Knitter said...

You story is similar to most of us! Hunker down and stay healthy. See you on the other end.

Cat said...

Thank you both! I hope both of you are safe and well!
Cat