Sunday, August 02, 2020

A little bigger.

This is a picture I took of the Tanker Trio, yesterday.  They do NOT like the camera flash, and were not entirely sure about the camera itself! (Photo at bottom.)

The little black chick is completely healed, and will have a pronounced scar, but seems like it doesn't cause any problems.  I think when it gets feathers, rather than the "chick fuzz", it most likely won't even show, or at least not be glaring.

The other two are a yellow and white, like Edgar's babies.  So. I thought great, 5, that will be a nice replacement for the ones I've lost this season, (mostly due to old age), and that would be that.

And the Universe cracked up...

I couldn't find Salt. Oh, crud.  Did she get eaten? Run off? Why couldn't I find her?

I had just finished mowing, when Husband called my attention to a little spot behind the henhouse.  There sat Salt, just quietly glaring at us. 

Oh. She's setting. Okay, a few more is fine, I suppose.

I had a chance to count eggs when she went for a quick bite.

Am I rotten to really hope all 18 eggs do NOT hatch?  Yoiks...


4 comments:

messymimi said...

Cute little things, but 18 would be a bit much!

Cat said...

Yes, especially when it would potentially be 23... If all of them hatch. Fortune would have it, however, most of the time, they don't ALL hatch. But I still will have more than plenty!

Cat

Martha said...

They are adorable!!! Always wanted some chickens but the husband says no. So I shall be satifisfied feeding the birds that wander in to the yard!! :^) Looking forward to the surprise hatchlings, I will be watching for an update.

Cat said...

Husband was fine with it, as long as it was MY project. He does help in things like setting up the tank, or occasionally getting water, but it's my (chicken) baby! Or babies, actually...
Cat