Sunday, April 07, 2024

Bah! >: (

 Well. I should know by now not to try and do too many things at once. 

I guess I don't learn as easily as I should...

Husband had asked for stroganoff. Not a problem. Got out the ingredients, and asked, noodles or rice? Rice, please.

Get out the rice, water, butter, toss them in the pot, get it boiling, and start with the rest. Oh, forgot this little chore, I can do it in a trice. Back to the sauce. Waters boiling on the rice, cover and turn down. 

I thought. 

I washed up an item I needed, and stirred the sauce. That smells odd. Did another quick chore, came back, and wondered why the sauce smelled so bad. And why was the rice steaming so much?

That's when it clicks, the rice isn't steaming, it's SMOKING! I hadn't paid enough attention, is the only thing I can figure, but I hadn't turned down the rice far enough, and it was busily burning in the bottom of the pot. I got the pot over and dumped some water in it.  Told Husband dinner would be late. Then started a new pot of rice. And I didn't do anything else but watch it until it was finished! 

The second batch turned out fine, the house stinks, so even though it's cold, we have the doors open... 

But, the burned rice didn't go to waste. Husband wondered if the chickens would like it. They did. 

So. Today I scrubbed a very smelly, blackened pot, and have decided that doing chores while making dinner wasn't the brightest idea I've had in awhile... Snort. 

1 comment:

messymimi said...

To have very happy rice, put rice in a pot with as much butter as you want, then cover with water until the water is about an inch above the rice. Put it on the stove, turn it on high, and cook until the water boils to where it is just barely above the level of the rice.

Turn it off, totally off, put a tight lid on it and leave it an hour. It's as if your very happy rice came out of a steam bath, it's perfect. You can leave it longer than an hour if you have to, I used to start it at lunch and leave it on the stove until supper was served and never had to worry about whether the rice was ready or properly cooked.