Saturday, April 20, 2019

Easter Eggs.

My Bio Grandma had a cookbook, and Step Grandma had it for years, then gave it to me.  I was looking through it, and it has some neat stuff for making dyed Easter eggs.  Now, this was before store bought stuff.  So it was "natural".

I was amused with the first one, coffee.  I would save a step, just get brown eggs! :)
But it mentioned things like walnut husks, (wear gloves!!), grape juice, yellow and red onion skins, berry juice (mentioned strawberries, but I know blackberries would work, too).

I had some hens that would lay green, and blue colored eggs, no longer have them.  I now have some that lay pink and brown eggs.  So, I guess, Grandma and Grandma and I would have quite the color spectrum for Easter eggs!

(I think there were several more, but I don't have the book with me, it was a page or so of colors, what item made what color, how to decorate, etc... But it was fun to look at, even if I am not inclined to dye eggs right now.)

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Dying eggs certainly isn't a modern invention. Those old colors may not have been as bright and garish as some of the store bought stuff, but it was fun and pretty nonetheless.

Cat said...

No, I seem to remember there being things mentioned about coloring eggs even in the Middle Ages. But, none the less, it was some neat ideas! (But messy, even then!) :)

Cat