Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Writing implements. That are not pens and pencils.

 I asked if I could borrow Mom's typewriter. I use my out of date, slowly dying computer for typing, but decided I want to use a typewriter. 

I want to type in my pod, which makes it hard to use a computer. Not impossible, but the power is limited, and there is very little in the way of Internet out there, not that I need it. 

The computer battery is not holding a charge, so it's always needing to be on electricity, not really portable as much. The typewriter, while light and fluffy as a pile of bricks, can be used pretty much anywhere. (After I get the new ribbon for it, the other is nearly dry...) And I can use the typewriter to type postcards, don't think I can do that with my particular computer... 

The computer does give me corrections for misspelled words. With the typewriter, I am on my own. And the typewriter can't back up and correct... Except with White Out. 

It might be interesting to use, too, if I have to type numbers, I have to remember that there is no "1" on the typewriter, you type a lowercase L. But I know most of the quirks of both machines, so I think it should be fine.

Plus, it's kind of fun to listen to typing. 

Tap tap tap tap DING!!! Bzzzzzzclick. 

So, we shall see how I do. 

I gather that some are using things like the typewriter, "classic" phones and such for decor. To each their own, but I really like things to be useful... 

1 comment:

messymimi said...

I miss typewriters, the sound, the feel of the keys. I don't miss the keys getting stuck together and having to unstick them.