Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The good, the bad, and the hopefully better...

As you can see, I've not blogged for a long bit... The internet is getting WORSE out our way.  So, I have tried, and had, (obviously), no success.  I try to blog or upload pictures, it overloads the system, throwing me, and my writing out, unless I get up in the wee hours to do it.

So why haven't I gotten up in the wee hours? 

That's the good news.  For me, at any rate.  I found a class, approved by my doctor, to learn meditation and relaxation.  It seemed a tiny bit foo-foo at times, (Using all your senses to eat ONE raisin.  I am not fond of raisins overmuch.  The councilor was admonishing us to listen to the raisin, that was a physical sense, too.  I told her that if that sucker talked to me, I was out of there.  It did make a slight noise, if you hold it near your ear, you can hear the sugar crystals crunch on it while squishing it a bit. We were in a quiet room...)  This was an intensive class, and while I can't say I am now perfectly sublime and saintly blissful, I am slowly learning to be hopefully less irritable, at least sometimes...  And, the biggie, I CAN SLEEP!  I notice I am awake, I go to a couple of the practices that she recommended, and I am dozing again quickly, as a rule.  Which makes me less groggy, but not awake during the small window of "usable" time for internet.

But we have called the company multiple times, even threatening to leave them.  Basically, they said, you are finished with your required contract, "we give you permission to leave."  (Husband rarely gets angry.  I thought he was going to break something when THAT phone call was finished...)  So, we have been looking, and considering our next plan of action.

We noticed a gent that was in construction wear, with a transit, and he kept showing up around our place, measuring... Something?  I missed him the first couple times.  It's not terribly unusual to have power folks come out, because the farms need power put on, and taken off of the water pumps seasonally, and they have to check on some of the poles, as they are, um, extensively used by cows for derriere scratching.  I do hope no one has to climb one of those messes in the near future! 

Anyway, finally, he was stopped right near our driveway, and Husband walked out to see what he was up to. 

After a bit of a chat, Husband comes in and tells me the 2 local schools, which we are more or less in between, are getting fiber optic high speed cable. 

Okay.  Good, I guess. 

No, they are putting it in for the schools, and he is measuring pole distances to install lines, for anyone who lives near the schools, and is on the power company's system...  So they can sign up for FIBER HIGH SPEED! 

Um, is that good? (No, I am not quick on the uptake, occasionally.)

He explained that yes, it was very good, and because it would involve the schools, there would most likely be a built in "make sure it works" as it is not just the usual one or two people, but a 'business'. 

(I hope he's right, we had a national carrier tell our county law enforcement that they would come fix a problem with the call in lines being down at DISPATCH... with in 10 working days.  After a something call, I was never told exactly what happened, but it did get fixed.  The next day.  But that's when the Sheriff decided that that company was no longer the supplier of the phone for them. Yep, good times...)

So, somewhere along the lines of September, when the next school year starts, is what the goal for the set up is.  Will we get it?  What's the speed?  How much data allowed?  What's the COST?  All of that will be found out later.  But, there is a chance that we might, just maybe, be able to have real internet that doesn't compete with 2 cans and a string for quality!  Hope, hope, hope...

So, I kept considering, I want to write my blog BEFORE September, but how?  I haven't had much luck with some of the stuff I had been trying at home. 

At home... 

Hey, I am on the computer when I am at the sub!  DING! 

You know those stupid trees make it very hard to see that big forest I am looking for! 

So, I will save up, and try and write my blogs at least on Tuesdays, if possible.  I might occasionally write more than one, and then I will time them to release over a few days, too, but I won't be able to answer as often.  Oh, and at this point, no pictures, sorry.  The IT guys are wonderful here, but they get extremely paranoid a little jumpy about uploads that aren't protected, so I don't want to have to do all the happy dance work arounds to get a picture on.  If it's important, I might try, but right now, I am just happy to have a brain cell light up again with the concept, hey, you can do this at work!  YAAAY!

4 comments:

Elaine (Retired Knitter) said...

Woo Hoo! I think the first message went thru. You don't have that Prove You Are Not a Robot feature - so it let me in!!! And, just for the record, I am NOT a robot. I'll be back again. Hope you keep writing.

messymimi said...

Hooray! It's great to hear from you, i am glad you are getting to post from the station, and i hope you do get affordable and fast and reliable internet service.

Cat said...

Hi, Elaine! Yep, both went through, just put this one up, though. And no problem, I just check them myself to see what I will put on, or not, so I approve, not the anti-robot check mark... And, welcome! Also, thanks!!

Cat

Cat said...

Thank you, I am SO wishing that things were a bit faster at the house. I guess I shouldn't complain, it was NOT so long ago we were still on dial up. That being said, dial up has been FASTER than some of the service we've gotten of late. Since Husband does some business via the internet, this isn't a good thing... At all. But, time shall tell...
Cat