Saturday, July 13, 2019

Gardening update, and watering saga.

All is growing that I planted.  Except the carrots.  (Sorry, Dad.)  I just found out that the Kohlrabi seems to be attracting slugs, I put down some Sluggo, and I am going  to put down some more seed, just in case.  It's early enough, I think it should do fine.  The hay bales are working out well.  All the plants, except for one pumpkin, seem to be thriving, but I found out, the bales are at a slight slant, making the ones at the lower point get more moisture.  They are bigger.  Oops.  I think it's also why the one pumpkin is so puny.  But, the experiment works, with a few tweaks for next year.

Beans are doing well, if not growing outrageously fast.  There is some volunteer potatoes by them, too!  Have to see what kind.  I planted three in that area before.

Tomatoes are small, but they are putting on blossoms, and one or two tomatoes.  I am also seeing crooknecks starting.

The corn... Well, I am seeing some starts.  I don't hold my breath, but after 4, yes 4 tries, some came up.  For anyone keeping score, that was 5 different types of corn, to find ONE that worked.  (I won't mention how many different kinds I used on the carrots.  Sorry again, Dad...)

The flowers seem to be doing well, and some are going to seed, I hope to gather the seed to use in an area that we are going to make for bees and pollinators.  :)  Also, where it is, for the visual enjoyment of passers-by.

On to watering.  I water the chickens with a rain barrel, until it empties, which is much later this year, as it has been much cooler than usual, and raining somewhat more regularly.  Weeeelllll, the tank would not pour for some reason.  I fiddled and futzed with it, but no go on the water.  I needed to leave, so I used the hose nearby.  NOT the best idea.  The nozzle leaks, and I ended up getting a not appreciated freezing cold shower at 6 in the morning.  With my clothes on.  And my glasses...

Bless him, Husband figured out there was a stick blocking the water flow, so I will be able to use the barrel again, but I think it's time to switch nozzles on that hose. I will have to search in the greenhouse, but I have one that I can swap out, fortunately.

One blood-curdling scream to scare the neighbor's horses is enough...

1 comment:

messymimi said...

An unexpected cold shower at 6am in your clothing would make anyone holler good and loud.

Hope you can eventually find a way to grow carrots for your Dad.