Thursday, January 30, 2020

Garden dreams, and some garden realities...

They come again, like the crocus in my garden.  Gorgeous, slick books with the perfect fruit, the most colorful flowers, the newest and coolest gadgets.

Yep, it's spring catalog time...

I have sussed out which catalogs I do not EVER buy from, since they have junk, and try to warn others.  I have some, I buy from occasionally, because they have oddball seed I can't seem to find locally, like Yellow Pear tomato.  Red Pear, no problem, but I ask for Yellow, and most of the clerks look at me like I've turned yellow... Meh.

And, there is one, that I order from each year, they are a local one, (by local, I mean the next town over...), they always seem to come up with neat things, and I have even written, and received, personal notes with my order...

I originally saw this for yarn, but a tiny bit of tinkering made the same point for garden supplies...

My Brain:  I don't need this, I have enough seed already.
My Wallet: Oh, **** no!
Me:  Does this seed come in bulk?

Um, yes, that does tend to describe me depressingly well...  But, on the bright side, I actually have a pretty good idea of what seed I need, rather than just going and buying, then finding out I have 10 more packages at the house... 

There are a few things I am debating on planting, like potatoes.  I have had, well, let's call it limited luck with them, and when I planted the potatoes in hay, it would have worked wonderfully, if there hadn't been mice that liked the bed and breakfast ambiance... Now I understand why the cats were around it all that time... Pbbt...

Other items will be planted, but I have to prep for them first...

And then there are the trees... I have probably a dozen or more trees that are way overdue to be planted.  And this is really the time for planting them.  I keep telling myself that, while looking out the window at the wind blowing things over, and the rain blowing sideways.  And the hole?  Needs to be a few feet deep, because the trees are so large.  Oh, I really wish I could use a machine to dig a hole for these.  I will have to dig out muck boots, too.  Let's just say that vented tennis shoes that are on life support, quality wise, probably aren't the best to use for heavy digging. 

And, it's raining, plus digging.  I am so glad our laundry room is right next to the door!  I have more than once come in looking like Swamp Thing, except brown...  When I dig, I tend to get into my work.  I, so far, haven't fallen, or had that kind of problem, but I tend to slop things, and don't notice puddles until I have spattered myself by dropping a big wet shovel of mud on it, creating a spray that has been known to create spatter the length of my person.  Yick...

Then there is the gruesome twosome, motivation, and strength.  I tend to have a hard time wanting to dig when it's sloppy, snotty, and generally not warm... Gee it's winter, what ELSE would it be?   And I might be able to plant one tree, then I have to rest a day, before I can do the next one.  Sometimes, I could plant two, if they were small, but I don't have much in that area right now...

So...  We shall see if I can get the poor things in the ground.  After a conference with Husband, so I don't plant someplace with some problem, i.e., he can't get the tractor through, I will have to do something.

Maybe.  But, ooh, pretty, look at that selection of flowers. Pages of them! 

Um... 


2 comments:

messymimi said...

Um, find someone with a backhoe? Who maybe would want a knit hat in trade? Oh, well, one can always hope.

Cat said...

Well, except that it would probably sink the backhoe to the cab, in a lot of the areas we want to plant, right now... But I have thought about seeing if I could trade someone who had a tad more strength some cookies, and maybe knitting, for some holes... I will have to see how many bottomless pit teens I still know...

:)

Cat