Thursday, February 13, 2020

Read a good movie lately?

I went to a big chain bookstore, (Husband and I can't remember which one, sadly, it is no more), and they had this section I would always look at while I was there. 

"Read a Good Movie Lately?"

And they would have the latest movies out, either from the book it was based on, or a book, written from the movie.   I would usually pick up at least one or two, especially if it was sci-fi.

I really missed that. 

I happened to be at a book sale we frequent, and they had "The Revenant".  I picked it up, and it started me thinking... I know there are lots of movies based on books... Why not just catch them as I find them?  I have even started a little section of my library, where the "book to movie section" is.  I have the more obvious, like the Hobbit, some newer, like Gone Girl, and Girl with a Pearl Earring.  Some classics, To Kill A Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...

I might read all of them, might find I have no interest, and go to the next book... And eventually, I might see the movie, too...

The odd thing, I just finished The Revenant.  It was quite good, if more than a bit gorey.  But, as I have noticed, the book and movie differ.

I haven't seen the movie.  So, how do I know?

Husband told me he'd seen the movie, one time while I was off and away.  So I chatted with him about the book, and said, oh, it was awful that his rifle was stolen, and Husband said, yes, and losing his son...

His son?  I looked blank. 

Yes, Husband says, his son Hawk. 

Uh.  No... No children in the book.

Oh, Hawk is an adult child.

Uh, no, Husband, there was no adult child, no child child, and no Hawk...

Now I really want to see the movie, to see what he's talking about!!! 

2 comments:

messymimi said...

And usually the book is better. There are times when it is not. Interesting topic, i see very few movies, i wonder if i'd like the books they come from (besides the obvious ones you mentioned).

Cat said...

I don't know. I just have heard about a few of them, and can read the books at my leisure, as opposed to needing to actually sit and watch something for a set time... But then I also have a good 'footing' for the movie, when I actually see it!

Cat