Friday, January 21, 2022

13. Zzzzzzzzzzzz... Oops.

 I received an invitation to a video lecture, with a famous individual as one of the speakers. Wow! And it was free!! Great! So I signed up. 

The meeting started a bit late, I suspect a technical issue.  Finally got going, and the host... Well, the host tried, but seemed very unfamiliar with video conferencing. Long pauses, stepping on each others comments. It just didn't seem great. 

And there was more than the one speaker. It made the conversation really lopsided, with the other, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.... Blah, oh, do you have anything to add? 

Long pause. Sometimes, yes, additional info came from the one I wanted to hear. But mostly, a slightly tired, (grumpy?), expression, and no, I think you've covered it.

I think this was an hour long lecture.  I say I think, because after looking so forward to hearing it... I fell asleep part way through, and it just hadn't improved when I awoke... I finally gave up.

Compare this to my half hour or so morning meditation and prayer time. I have the lights low, or off, to watch the sunrise, in a quiet room, in a fairly soft chair.  I rarely fall asleep, unless I haven't slept well the night before...

Can't win 'em all I guess. But I did learn a little, and hey...

It WAS free...


6 comments:

messymimi said...

It was free and you got a nap. Naps are a bonus when the speaker is boring.

Cat said...

Okay, works for me! :)
Cat

Retired Knitter said...

There was no way to know in advance. And better it was video than you had to attend in person and pretend you were interested!!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I would have had a hard time staying awake, for sure. Something about Zooms and FaceTime are really taxing for me, and I am not sure why. If it were glitchy and boring, I would be doomed! But if you ever suffer from insomnia, it could be handy to have something like this you could watch for a few minutes! I agree with Mimi... a nap is a bonus!

Cat said...

Oh, good grief, I hadn't even thought of that! Snxlzzz, probably would have been noticed! Eep!
Cat

Cat said...

I don't have too much problem with lectures, as I generally take notes, and it mostly has been one speaker, so it's less... Distracting? For me. But I didn't do notes for what ever reason, and the 3 folks back and forth was very nearly driving me to distraction! But yes, I think a nap isn't all bad... Since no one saw/heard it...
Cat