Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Applesauce, for lazy people...

I love applesauce. 

Husband and I have a very different definition of that, however.  He likes the stuff that is finely done up, with no lumps.  I call that baby food, myself.  I like having it with a bit more cinnamon, and with chunks of apple.  He says that isn't applesauce, it's stewed apples.  He prefers that as a topping for ice cream, when hot from the stove. 

But, since I am making the stuff, I generally make the "stewed" kind.  I can't stand for long periods, and it was getting harder and harder to make the stuff, as the recipe called for stirring constantly, over a medium high heat. 

Now, remember, I have to pick and clean, then slice and prepare, before I ever venture into the cook part...  Not a poor little me thing, more of a I need to know my limits thing.  So, for my birthday, Mom and Dad picked up a mechanical peeler for me, so I can do more apples... (this thing attaches to the front of my mixer.  I haven't tried it, sounds so strange, but they make gobs of stuff for this machine...) 

And now I have found a crock pot recipe for applesauce.  I put the apples, sugar, and cinnamon in, start, and check on it occasionally, to stir.  And so I will be doing that, because last years turned out well.  I might even let it cook down to Husband's preferred consistency.  I have talked to Mom about borrowing her crock pot again. 

There is only one downside to making this stuff, for me.  I love applesauce, and the smell makes me hungry.  Let's just say, I find it hard to avoid sampling... Several times.  But I know it cooks down well, and if I would start early in the day, I *might* be able to make a couple batches in all the crock pots I can scare up. 

I guess I can be glad we have several outlets and lots of counter space!

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Maybe pull half of it out of the crock pot when it's done to your taste, and let the rest cook down for your husband.

Cat said...

I suppose I could be nice and do that, or just dedicate one crock pot to 'baby food' type applesauce. So yes, not a bad thing, making some for him... :)
Cat