Friday, February 25, 2022

17. Scarves, a chameleon sock, and a Dorset button.

 I don't really know why I haven't blogged, I actually had one all written up, in my head. Just didn't get it on electrons, I guess.  I might put it up later... 

What have I been doing then, you ask? The usual stuff, housework, reading seed catalogs... Drooling over seed catalogs... Ahem.  

Trying to stay warm.  It was as low as 14 degrees here, and this little stout person ain't used to that!  Fortunately, my wool gloves do pretty well, as long as I don't manage to touch something wet.  :( And when I water the chickens, I generally ALWAYS get my fingers, if not my whole hand wet.  

This cold is all over, so I have been knitting, too. One of my friends has mentioned he doesn't have a scarf. I made one for him and his gal, and with the weather they have, it goes from warm to below freezing with amazing speed. 

I also knit a sock... I had thought about getting another skein to make a pair.  That turned into a capital NOPE.  These socks are vastly different colors each time I get to a different light source. Red, yellow, greens, and purple are the colors in sunlight. Very nice.  Then, under room lighting, it shifts to dull orange, gray yellow, olive drab, and dark blue.  Then... I tried to take a picture. OH, MY CAT that looks terrible!


I give up, this sock changes color more than I change socks!!! Bah! I will go into the sock onesies pile, and I will be done with it.

I also had read... Many moons ago, about making buttons with thread. They looked neat, but I couldn't remember the name. So I looked it up online. Found out they are called Dorset buttons, from the place they were made.  Looked a bit more, and found Henry's Buttons, a place that makes those kind of buttons... In Dorset! They also had a pattern, and I decided to give it a try.



This is my first try. At the risk of being prideful, I think it came out pretty well! It's about the size of a US quarter.  I used some O rings I have, but found one little detail, rubber O rings tend to flex just a bit, unlike a bone or brass ring. Makes it harder to line up things, but... It still works!

I also wrote a letter or two, and sent a box of yarn to a young friend who is into making amigarumi critters.  I want to try that sometime... 

Ahem. Craft #10,531 on the list of "that looks like fun". Meh.  

Least it keeps me busy!

6 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I love your button! And cheers for the 10, 531 crafts, and new crafts, that keep us busy. It's a good thing.

messymimi said...

Busy and creative. The button does look good, and as for the sock, it's certainly one of a kind.

Retired Knitter said...

Ha! I, too, have a list of “looks like fun” crafts -but I wish it stopped with just the list. I usually buy the materials to do the crafts thinking I have all the time in the world. This is a case of “eyes bigger than stomach” when eating. Just fill that plate to the brim and never leave a clean “happy plate.”

Cat said...

Thank you! And, it can be a mixed blessing, when the craft room looks like it will be on an episode of Hoarders. Cough...

Cat said...

Thanks! And as far as the sock, I have many that fit THAT description! ;)
Cat

Cat said...

I have at least a (censored) of crafts in my craft room, queued up. Have I done them? No. Have I started them? No. But do I look at them, and think, dang, this will make a great X for Z thing?

Constantly. I think hope springs eternal is the only explanation I can come up with.

I was told by someone that you never die if you have things to do. Not true, sadly, but were it so, I would be set well into my late 300's at least!
Cat