Sunday, October 09, 2022

21. Wakey, wakey!

 I return! Yes, I really have dropped the ball on blogging.  I have actually written several blogs, in my head, but they never went to paper or pixel, so they just didn't happen. 

I have been taking care of family, as has Husband.  Husband has also been helping neighbors, which is kind of unique. The gent is... Very impatient, and can't hear, so when he comes over to... Ask... NOW... For help, I am on the porch, bellowing at the top of my lungs that Husband will be right out, he's on the phone/ in the bathroom/ getting dressed, whatever, said neighbor doesn't register, just keeps telling me, "But I need help right now!" 

This was even more interesting when Husband was actually elsewhere, it took several minutes to get him to understand, and then he was insistent that Husband HAD to get ahold of him SOON.  

Husband finished the job, I let him know, and he went directly over to neighbor's house.  And neighbor was gone! Neighbor had decided things needed to be done, we weren't there when he wanted, so he got someone else to help. Husband gave him a rather exquisite tounge lashing over that. 

So, neighbor has sort of settled his jets.  Makes life interesting, I suppose. 

Because of the very late spring rains, I never put in a garden, just four tomato plants. They have been doing very well, though. If the wet weather happens next year, I might do something different. But it sort of worked out, because I don't know if I would have been able to care for it like I should, being on the go a lot. 

 So. I did get some time to pick berries and make jam, whereupon we were cleaning out the freezer and found a large batch from 2016.  I have MUCH jam right now.  

Also picked apples and made sauce. Picked from parent's trees, and gave them some of the sauce. Also met the new next door neighbor they have.  It would be the day I was dressed in my scuzz wear. Oh, well, seems like nice people, and I would think she could see I was working, so all is well, I suppose. Let's say that picking, peeling, and saucing is messy business, when I do it.  Apple juice stains, so I wear pre-stained clothes so it's not a big deal to get MORE stains!

And I had an EXCITING wake up call the other day.  Husband HAD been up way early, I slept in. It was just shy of six AM when I decided to get up. I had just rolled over and had one foot out of the bed, when, CROOSH! CRUNCH! CR-CR-CR! 

The house shook, the bed shifted under me, and it sounded like an explosion, happened simultaneously. I managed not to fall out of bed, amazingly.  I was frightened that something had exploded, and wanted to know where Husband was. I think I made a land speed record for getting dressed. Poor Ding kitty was running all over the house meowing. I kept telling her she was okay, but she wasn't buying it. 

I went outside, to see Husband hustling back to the house.  He'd been in the trailer, his experience was more the noise, and seeing our outside kitty Buzz decide to evacuate the barn as fast as paws would move.  Amazingly, the springs on the trailer made his "ride" a lot smoother than mine. 

We verified we were both okay, and nothing near us had blown up.  We went back in the house, and another neighbor sent a text, he'd wondered what happened, as well.  We were still puzzling it out, when I turned on the TV to see the weather forecast. Next thing we see, Breaking News: earthquake!  Turns out, the quake was just between where we live and another local city, so we we just shy of being on top of it!  It was a 4.4 earthquake which is .1 less than where they send out warning alerts. (4.5) As they say in the show, missed it by that much!

The only thing that occurred, can't even call it damage... My hand soap container tipped over and fell into the sink in the kitchen. It's a very thin container, with a slightly rounded bottom, so it's prone to falling over anyway. But if that is the worst that happened, I am glad. 

Even if I was having a rather unusual time trying to get out of bed that morning!

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Mercy, but you've been busy! And an earthquake to boot. All i can say is i hope you get a much quieter autumn.

Cat said...

So do I!
Cat