Thursday, October 13, 2022

22. Stress testing. Stop it!!!

 Was at our local mega buy stuff store.  Mom and I were getting her shopping taken care of. On the overhead speaker, "This is a drill. We will be testing our fire alarm. This is only a drill!"

Hmm.  

I was now expecting something. Nonetheless, the alarm went off, and I nearly cleared the top shelf of the aisle! It was one of the loudest alarms I've heard, and considering I have been around fire equipment and police cars... I was impressed, in a way. Also making sure I hadn't messed my drawers! 

I settled down, and we finished shopping, and lined up to pay.  I had noticed the man at the front of the queue was leaned into the checker.  Didn't give it much thought, until she rushed around the side and grabbed his arm, pulling the shopping cart close. He started shaking, and I let Mom know I was going to walk up there.  Asked if they needed help, and if I needed to call 911.  No to both. 

I stepped back, just in time to see one of the other checkers trot up carrying a bench. (I should have gotten her name, she would be able to buck hay with NO problem!) She sat the bench down, and got him on it.  Yet another checker arrived, closed the line we were in and opened the next one. I kept an eye on what was happening.  The man went from sitting to slumped over, so they grabbed a bundle of bags and set under his head for a pillow, and laid him flat on the floor.  The two checkers were on either side, one holding his hand, the other talking to him, trying to get information.  He had seemed to go in and out, but was talking a little to her at that point.  The EMT's showed up, and I watched while loading up and paying for my groceries.  

Mentioned that I wondered if he'd had a seizure or something diabetic. The clerk looked up and said no, he had turned pale, was sweating like crazy, and grabbing his chest.

Uh, oh... 

The clerk I was talking to said it was her first emergency there. I told her she was doing fine, and we'd get things taken care of, (normally they load the groceries, but she was shaking a bit, so I figured I'd give her some help, certainly wasn't going to hurt me!)

As we walked off, the EMT was trying to get the man to talk to him "Tommy, can you hear me? Do you understand me?".  We left, and about 10 minutes or so later, we saw the ambulance go by. 

Please, good thoughts and care for Tommy, he will need it.

And, perhaps I could have a few days that AREN'T exciting?  I really would like a few beige ones...

1 comment:

messymimi said...

I'll be praying for Tommy, as well as for you. It's not easy to remember to take care of yourself when you have so many people and things on your plate, but i do hope you will try.