Sunday, February 11, 2024

Finished book the second.

Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman.  I've wanted to read this book for a while. It was a very nice read, oddly, I think it was a bit advanced for what I was told it was for. 

It became a stand alone book, but it was given the title as it was in the "without tears" series, explaining how to do various things. More or less from the very basic start, to a general familiarity with the subject.

She is dubbed The Opinionated Knitter, and this book clearly shows why. She gives directions on how to start, then she pointedly says that you HAVE TO GET GAUGE. In fact, the word "gauge" is capitalized all through the rest of the book. Very sound, I agree. You can end up with a sweater that would either fit a Barbie doll, or the Jolly Green Giant, depending on what you missed on gauge. Either way, it's not going to make for a nice sweater for you.

Later she poopoos acrylics (okay, the book was written in the 70's, she could have a point), and all but grabs you through the page, "Wool! Use wool!"  I have seen this argument from more than one knitter. Being a bit opinionated myself... 

No. 

It depends on what I'm using it for. Heavy sweater, or socks for winter? Great! A baby item that will be pooped, puked, drooled, and otherwise not treated terribly well, with a tired parent? 'Oh, by the way, this is hand wash in cold water, and you have to lay it on a screen to dry.' Don't think so. And acrylic has improved, too. So, anyway.

I learned a couple new-to-me cast ons and a bind offs.  She was explaining several items, that I am glad is most likely available in video, but for the sketch and photo method, it does fairly well. I even recognized a stitch she referred to as Prime Rib, that now goes by Brioche.  She explained everything in a very straightforward way, but of COURSE you can do this. She also explained that sweater bodies can be figured as formulas.

Since I have been knitting  )COUGH( years, what she has in the book makes sense. Haven't tried the formulas, so I can't speak to how easily they work, friends that have tried it say it does. She presents it in a very nice way, like you are chatting with a good friend.

If I was to recommend this book to a knitter... I would like them to perhaps have some idea of basics, or a person that could help with snags and confusion.  It's a good book, but I think a brand new baby knitter might be overwhelmed. But it IS an excellent book, which is why it's lasted so long. 

I rate it Very Good.

(I can't recall if I rated #1, I will say Good, just so I am caught up.)

On to my next read, Physics of Superheroes.


No comments: