Tuesday, August 06, 2024

Books. The good, the bad, and the many.

 Well, I read 2 books I enjoyed, one I didn't. And I am re-reading a series. 

Hail Mary, and Paw and Order were good reads. Mutts and Murder, not so much. 

Hail Mary by Andy Weir (wrote The Martian, another very good book), is about a teacher that is part of a discovery that the sun is going dark. It's because of tiny creatures that absorb energy. Said teacher finds a star that is NOT going out, and is rather unwillingly sent to discover why, on a 3 person rocket. He discovers an alien from another star has the same problem, and working out what to do also. The problems, discoveries, and general learning they have make an excellent story, and the ending is awesome. I gave it an Excellent. 

Paw and Order was a quick, fun read. Sort of sad start, widow and her cat are moving into a place in Florida, because her policeman husband died. Widow is caught up on a murder, and her kitty, named Detective Whiskers, (who is the one telling the story), along with a K-9 police dog named Kojack, and a few other characters, human and not, solve the mystery. Cute, sort of predictable, but worth it because of the cat's eye view, as it were. 

Mutts and Murder. Written by an Oregon author, and supposed to be set in Oregon. The town was fake, and really could have been set anywhere, it didn't let the area become part of the story. The title says murder. Okay, there was one, but the main character was so busy trying to decide if she was in love with the cop that was investigating it, you might not have known. And the murderer was such a minor character...

The book just didn't work for me. If you like romance novels, it might be all right, but, I don't. I will give this book a Fair, only because she did have good descriptions of the people.

I am going through a series I enjoyed, and decided to revisit. I was hoping the author would bring out a new book soon. I jumped on his website to check. He will be! Yay!!

And it will be the last book in the series... Dang. 

So I will go through, enjoy, wait for the new book, and savor it. 

Then I will sift through the 1537 (!) other books in my e-reader, and find something...

 

1 comment:

messymimi said...

Always so many reads and so little time. Often I just quit on a book if I realize I don't like it and move on.