Saturday, October 19, 2019

Rain.

I live in the Northwest, specifically, Western Oregon.  This means that for a major portion of the winter, we generally get rain.  And spring.  Sometimes early summer.  A good bet in late fall.

In other words, a lot of the time.

Now, I have lived here my whole life.  This, it's normal.  I know that once the bright days of July, and August are finished, you have to remember where your gum boots and rain slickers are.  Or just not worry about getting wet...

I remember a commercial for travelling to Oregon, that I can NOT find online, darn it...  It had, June, with a beautiful sunrise, July, beautiful sunrise, August, Beautiful sunrise, September, beautiful sunrise, October, and juuust started to show the sunrise, then in big block letters, Never mind.   Well, except that the heavy rain season can happen in September, it's more or less true.  There is a theory  about why people are so creative in Portland, there is so much rain that they have to stay inside and do something, or go stir crazy.  Or that they already are, and that it comes out with the unique and items they come up with...

The weather forecasters hedge bets when talking about rain here.  There is a rain/sun thing, sort of like two sports teams.  More often than not, the "ad lib" part, where they chat, usually ends up with at least one of the news people saying they don't like rain... Um, then why are you in one of the rainiest areas around, except for Washington??? 

There is a standing joke, that in the fall, the rain starts, and our 'webs' can get wet again... I guess I like the rain...

I know that when I have been to places like Arizona, it was hot, and dry.  I bet folks that grew up there probably would think being power washed  3/4 of the year is terrible.  But, going to where there is sun 300 days of the year, and temps well over 90 for a lot of them, is not for me.

So.  I hope the weather that you have where you live is what you like! 

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Well, i can say it's what i am used to. My problem is that gray skies make me feel gray on the inside if they last too long, so i do not think i could live where you do.

Cat said...

Sometimes, but I guess that I've lived with it so long, it's sort of like a friend coming to visit. Now, friends sometimes don't know when to leave, but they are still friends... But, yes, there are a few mid winter days that I sort of wonder if the water supply will EVER run out...

Cat