Saturday, November 09, 2019

Shh. Garden is sleeping...

We had the oak trees just dump leaves, so Husband has been cleaning them up steadily.  Part of it is because we use them for cover in the garden, and also, we have found that fall leaves, with rain, become not unlike ice.  Totally slippery to walk on, so Husband works hard that family, and Klutzo I don't end up on our respective derrieres. Trust me, it has happened in the past, not a pretty sight.

Anywho, He had a couple big piles of leaves, and I started filling the raised beds to cover them for the winter.  I did this by myself, as he was getting the first of the month 'stuff' finished.  I filled my little cart, wheeled it over, and dumped it in the bed.  Then spread the leaves out so they were flat, go get another load.  I thing my little cart, it took about 4-5 loads to fill the beds.  I finished about 3 or 4, including one that I only put a small bit, so the strawberries weren't smothered.  And I was whipped.  I didn't think a smallish plastic cart of leaves weighed that much, but I ended up taking an Aleve... I ended up with a mildly sore back... Not so great.  On the bright side, my shoulders seem to be doing fine.  Yay!

So, a couple days later, Husband went out to clear MORE leaves.  It didn't look like he'd done a thing, just because so many fell... He then told me he'd put the leaves in his huge barrow, and if I would take care of the beds, he'd bring over the leaves.  Awesome!

So he brings over the mass of leaves, and is able to just tip and dump, not needing to lift as I did.  I had big wearable leaf scoops, so I was busy moving leaves to flatten them in the bed, I would finish the spreading, he'd come back with another load.  He was barely breathing hard by the time we'd finished.  It must be so cool to be strong...

But, now all the beds are covered, and the leaves are (mostly) down.  We have to mulch some, but right now, Husband can't as he is repairing the broken belt.  New belts... Oh, yay...

One thing at a time, I guess...

2 comments:

messymimi said...

It seems there is a ton of work to do to get ready for winter if you have a green thumb. Maybe i should be grateful as i listen to this and to the ladies at the meeting talking about having to bring all the patio plants in!

Cat said...

Hadn't thought about it that way, but yes, you do have a bit to "shut down" the gardening, if you aren't doing winter crops. (I don't). But, I guess I enjoy the rest of it, so clean up is just part of the process...

Cat