Friday, April 19, 2024

New book. After much searching.

 I had decided on Western for my next book. Or at least pioneer history. I had several, so I started looking. One jumped out at me, until I read the first few pages. A marshal , unfaithful to his wife, and is a part owner of a bar with his mistress. I'm not really a prude, I don't think... 

But it just didn't do anything for me.

Next was a couple books on the Oregon Trail. I may come back to those, but I didn't want to deal with tiny print again. See if I can scare them up in larger print or ebooks. I have had lousy eyesight since I was in first grade, I really don't want to push the issue. 

Lewis and Clark journal? Maybe later. Donners? Well, I will have to see, it looks more like a romance novel than a Western, reading the blurb. And romances don't do a lot for me. (And with THAT scenario? Ew...)

Wandered through some of my other books. Riders of the Purple Sage... Well... A while ago, but I already read it. Same with the Country Doctor. Hmmm.

Then I happened on one in my bookshelf. Had my Grandma's info on it (1963, an obit of the author in 1970, and her address was Star Route 2, at the time.) 

Gold and Cattle Country. Turns out, it's by an author from Eastern Oregon, Herman Oliver. Telling stories, he lived in John Day, and raised cattle and sheep. The inside cover has dozens of brands. 

Yep. This looks like it might be interesting...

Wonder if she knew him. 

1 comment:

messymimi said...

I hope it proves a good one, with big print.